- 1 cup Kala vatana (Black peas)
- finely chopped 1 Onion
- 1tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/2tsp or According to spice Green chilli paste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- finely chopped or make a paste 1 tomato
- Salt to taste
- 1 or 2 cup Water
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp oil
Kala vatna, also known as black peas are dark green black coloured dried peas which are small, round and looks like black coloured pearls. When you want to enjoy a starchier, hardier flavoured legume, kala vataana are the perfect choice as they are available any time of the year.
Kala Vatana, a small but nutritionally mighty member of the legume family, are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber.
• Kala vatana also provide good to excellent amounts of four important minerals, two B-vitamins, and protein–all with virtually no fat.
• They are a good source of potassium, which may decrease the growth and development of blood vessel plaques and is also good for lowering high blood pressure
Rinse and soak the dry black peas overnight in enough water.
Next day wash 2 to 3 times, drain the water and a keep aside.
Heat oil in a pressure cooker on a medium flame, add the chopped onion and saute till onions are translucent.
Add the ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw smell goes away then.
Now add red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, tomato paste and black peas (kala vatana). stir well and cook for 2 minutes till the masala is well blended.
After 2 minutes add 2 cups of water, pressure cook with 4-5 whistles & let it simmer on low heat till the peas is cooked.
Wait till the steam is completely removed from the pressure cooker now transfer it to another pot add the garam masala powder boil for 5-6 min on a low flame.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
Serve the Kala Vatana Amti with chapati or steamed rice.