- 2 cups rice (Washed 2-3 times then soaked for half an hour)
- Oil as needed
- Whole cumin seeds 1 tbsp
- Black peppercorns 1 tsp
- cinnamon stick 4
- cloves 8
- cardamom 4
- onion 1 medium sized chopped
- 1 tbsp of ginger and garlic paste
- turmeric powder 1 tsp
- cumin/ coriander powder 1 tsp
- green chilli 1 chopped
- boiled black chana or peas 1 cup
- green capsicum, 1 seeds removed, finely diced
- yogurt 2 tbsp
- spinach 2 cups, cleaned washed and finely chopped
- salt as required
- water 4 cups ( use same cup for measurement of rice and water)
- chopped coriander 4 tbsp
- potatoes 4 medium,peeled and cut into thin slices
The Spinach Rice Recipe, is a simple, healthy preparation of cooked rice, with spinach and spices.Healthy spinach rice loaded with proteins, fibres and vitamins.
HOW THIS SPINACH RICE IS HEALTHY?
This spinach rice recipe is full of nutrition because it contains:
- fresh spinach which is rich in vitamin A and C
- kala chana is popularly known as a good source of protein. It can be added to your daily diet to control diabetes and blood sugar levels naturally.
- no saturated fat
The Spinach Rice makes a great lunch box meal filled with nutrition of spinach and rice and can be packed into your kids lunch boxes or your office lunch box with a simple raita or even curd on the side.
wash the rice with running water and soak for at least half an hour.
Once they splutter in the oil and you feel the aroma, add the finely chopped onion. Fry until the onions are golden brown. Do not let them dark brown at this stage. Add ginger garlic paste. saute for a minute until aromatic.
Now add green chilli, stir for another minute. then add turmeric and cumin/coriander powder and mix very well.
Add potatoes, boiled black chana or peas and capsicum. Fry together for a couple of minutes until the potatoes look translucent from the outside.
Add yogurt and chopped spinach. cook on medium to high flame until the extra moisture dries up. This step will add a distinct flavour to the dish.
Now add water and salt. cover with a lid and let it simmer until the water brings to a boil. As soon as the water starts to boil, drain the rice and add to the spinach stock.
Add chopped fresh coriander and stir just to mix everything. Do not mix too much. cook on medium high heat until the rice has absorbed almost all the water.
When there is very little water left in the rice, reduce the heat to the lowest. cover the pot with a lid and place a tawa under the pot to steam(dum) the rice.